Three Americans found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb, official says
A Mexican official said authorities are looking into the possible poisoning deaths of two Americans on vacation at an Airbnb rental in the country’s capital.
Officials in the city said Friday that the two women and one man all died late Tuesday after they were found dead inside the hotel room they had rented, the country’s leading news publication Milenio reported.
Local authorities said they did not believe the deaths were a crime and are looking into the matter, the newspaper said.
The newspaper said the two women were from Virginia, the man from Washington state and the man from Utah. The newspaper gave few other details and did not identify the victims.
The National Institute of Criminology said there were no signs that the deaths were connected to international terrorism or organized crime.
Officials said there was no indication of foul play that could explain the deaths.
The two women were not from the United States and the other man, identified only as a Mexican businessman, worked for a software company that is based in the United States.
The investigation continued Friday, Milenio said, and authorities were still trying to find out what happened to the three when they weren’t home.
The apartment is in the upscale sector of Mexico City about a mile behind the famous Zocalo, the main square in the capital, the newspaper said.
A spokesman for the city’s mayor had no immediate information regarding the death. The mayor and the mayor’s administrative director are both women.
A man who said he was a taxi driver who took them to the apartment told Milenio he found them “intoxicated” late Tuesday as he was driving them to their hotel in the same neighborhood.
The man asked not to be named because he said he didn’t want his name to be used in a police investigation.
The newspaper said it received a call from the head of security for the city of Cuauhtemotzinapa, who said a man was found dead in the room. The newspaper said the man gave his name as Carlos Miguel Contreras Garcia.
The newspaper said its reporters were able to see the body of the man and the other people inside the hotel room and could hear noises.
The newspaper said