Mother arrested, charged in child’s death after 4-year-old ate THC gummies, police say
When a child dies in custody, it is often deemed suspicious. The boy in this case, though, was just getting the cannabis-candy he favored, THC gummies, from a relative at his grandmother’s residence.
On Friday morning, police say, he began to have seizures; after a few hours, he died. His grandmother, who was with the boy, called 911.
The grandmother was charged with murder in juvenile court: a charge that carries a maximum of 18 years. Police have charged her with first-degree murder.
“It’s extremely rare that these cases happen, and it’s even rarer for a child to die this way,” said Assistant Police Chief Anthony Torres.
An autopsy is being performed and toxicology tests are being conducted on the boy. Police have not said whether the child’s death was a suicide or homicide.
Police say they are still waiting for toxicology results.
“It’s not the type of death that you expect, especially one that’s caused by a child,” said Torres.
Police say marijuana is an illegal substance in Missouri. Gummies are a form of marijuana.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.